Welcome everyone :) Things may be a little slow at the moment as I am in my last few months of school so I am swamped with work and exams but if you had time to leave a comment it would make my day!

Thursday 31 January 2013

Review: Vortex by Julie Cross


     Vortex (Tempest, #2)
    
Title: Vortex
Author: Julie Cross
Series: Tempest #2
Pages: 435
Publisher: Macmillan
Release Date: 3rd January 2013
Source: For review
Rating: 4 stars
100 Book challenge: #11


Jackson Meyer has thrown himself into his role as an agent for Tempest, the shadowy division of the CIA that handles all time-travel-related threats. Despite his heartbreak at losing the love of his life, Jackson has proved himself to be an excellent agent. However, all that changes when Holly—the girl he altered history to save—re-enters his life. And when Eyewall, an opposing division of the CIA, emerges, Jackson and his fellow agents find themselves under attack and on the run.


I really enjoyed Tempest, the first book, and whilst I feel Vortex wasn't quite as good I did still really enjoy it.

Vortex deals with the aftermath of Jackson's sacrifice to protect Holly. It was really heartbreaking to read about, especially as Holly is reintroduced into the plot. Cross convincingly dealt with Jackson's mixed emotions and conflict Jackson felt towards Holly, toying between doing what he thought was right and what he really wanted. As the story progressed the line between right and wrong merged.

There were lots of shocking revelation in Vortex that I wasn't expecting. I was definitely surprised by the plot twists and I don't think I saw any of them coming. It was really refreshing to be surprised in a book instead of being able to see the plot twist from a mile away.

The same issues I had with Tempest were present in Vortex. Vortex is a 435 page book which I have no problem with (I've read books with higher page counts) but you can really feel it. It does feel very dense and heavy and I struggled reading it for a long time. It is definitely YA but it has a very adult feel to it in its heaviness. The heaviness is also probably in connection with the confusion I feel when reading the series. The time travel aspect gets fairly convoluted and I do struggle to follow. At time I do just skim over the details, only focusing on the essential aspects to the time travel.

Despite a few negative I do enjoy this series and if you like sci-fi and time travel with a fairly contemporary feel that I would recommend this series.

1 comment:

  1. I had the same problems you had with Tempest, of it feeling really long and almost like it should be in the adult genre.
    I'm sorry to hear you didn't think Vortex was quite as good as the first one, but Jackson having to battle right and wrong sounds good!
    Thanks for the awesome review, Alice! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...